Neoglyconoid: a reconstructed polysaccharide
Netech supplies chemically manipulated heparin.
- Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) involving heparin are long unbranched polysaccharides consisting of a repeating disaccharide unit. Fragmented heparin is derivatized to a styrene monomer, and then reconstructed through homo-polymerization of the monomers.
- The reconstruction turns linear heparin into three-dimensionally steric structure, to elevate the affinity to bioactive molecules.
- The reconstruction makes non adsorbable heparin adsorbable.
“Development goal for NeTech”
- NeTech turns intractable glucides into the functional glucides improving water-solubility or adsorptivity to medical substrates..
Abstract of Glycosaminoglycan
- Multicellular organisms have a structure to modulate expression of cellular functions. This structure, which is called extra cellular matrix (ECM), is composed of collagen fiber, elastic fiber, and glycosaminoglycan/proteoglycan existing in gaps of the fibers. ECM modulates cellular proliferation and differentiation through supplying nutrition or storing bioactive substances such as growth factors and the like.
- Proteoglycan is defined as the molecular group containing core proteins and glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) that covalently bind each other. Proteoglycans also exist on cellular surface, and consequently GAGs modulate signal transduction between cells.
- GAGs are made by repetitive structure of disaccharides having sulfate group. The disaccharides are composed of amino-sugar (galactosamine, glucosamine) and uronic acid (glucuronic acid, iduronic acid) or galactose. GAG involves hyaluronic acid, chondroitin sulfate, dermatan sulfate, and heparan sulfate. Especially heparin is comprised of a characteristic combination of the amino-sugars and uronic acids to behave as an anti-coagulant factor.
- Acidic GAGs having abundant sulfate and carboxyl groups exist as proteoglycans. Only hyaluronic acid exceptionally exists as GAG alone. Especially heparan sulfate is characterized by regulating bind between various bioactive substances and cells, to control cellular functions. Heparin which contains highly sulfated constituent sugar than heparan sulfate inhibits blood coagulation.
- ECM is the main stage of inflammation or metastasis based on the invasion of leukocytes or tumor cells. In the multicellular organisms such as animals and plants, ECM has an important role of not only filling extra-cellular gaps but also the skeletons of vertebrates (bone or cartilage), scaffolds of cell proliferation (Basement membrane and fibronectin), preservation of growth factors (heparan sulfate) and the like. Typical ECM of plants is also polysaccharides, cellulose.
The chemically manipulated reconstruction improves
the binding force of heparin against growth factors and cytokines.